Diagnosis of Metabolic Syndrome
The Diagnosis of Metabolic Syndrome requires at least 3 of the following 5 criteria :
- Elevated Fasting Plasma Glucose level (> 110 mg/dl)
- Visceral Obesity (Waist circumference >35 inches in women and > 40 inches in men)
- Hypertension (BP >130/85 mm of Hg)
- High Serum Triglycerides (> 150 mg/dl)
- Low HDL (< 40 mg/dl)
With the above criteria the prevalence of "Metabolic Syndrome" is more than 20% among all adults older than 20 years of age, and greater than 40 % among the population older than 50.
"Metabolic Syndrome" is pro-inflammatory condition and hence increases the risk of Ischemic Heart Disease.
Other associated clinical diseases include PCOD, Sleep Apnea, Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.
Two or more of the following symptoms may indicate "Metabolic Syndrome" Or "Insulin Resistance"
- Food/Sugar Cravings
- Trouble in sleeping
- Hands/Feet numbness
- Increased urge to urinate
- Increased waist circumference
- Abnormal lipid profle
- High Blood pressure
Causes of Metabolic Syndrome
- Sedentary Life style/Lack of Physical Exercise
- High Carbohydrate / Fat intake in diet
- Refined Sugar Intake
- Oxidative Damage
- Other Endocrine diseases like PCOD, Cushing's disease, Acromegaly, etc.
- Medicines Induced
- Addictions/Substance Abuse like Alcohol, Smoking, etc.
Complications of Metabolic Syndrome
- Diabetes Mellitus type 2
- Insulin Resistance
- Ischemic Heart Disease
- Non healing ulcers/ Diabetic Foot
- Autonomic Dysfunction (Postural hypotension, Erectile Dysfunction, Premature Ejaculation, Bladder and Bowel disturbances, Abnormal sweating, Giddiness, Dizziness, Fainting, Syncope etc.)
- Mood and Memory Disturbances
- Hypoglycemia leading to convulsion/Coma
- Hyper osmolar Coma
- Electrolyte imbalances leading to Seizures, Convulsions, Unconsciousness
- Erectile Dysfunction, Impotence, Infertility
- Abortion, Miscarriage, Stillbirth
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Macrosomia and other birth defects in newborn
- Premature Ovarian Failure
- Dermatological Complications (Acantosis Nigricans, Hirsutism , Dermatitis, Eczema, Ulcers, Alopecia etc)
- Repeated Infections
- Low Immunity
- Fatty Liver, Gall Stones
- Sleep Apnea
- Multiple Endocrine disturbances
Management of Metabolic Syndrome
- Blood Sugar
- Medical Management (Including Insulin and Incretins)
- Identification of Risk Factors
- Management of Metabolic factors including Hyperlipidemia and hypoproteinemia
- Prevention of Complications
- Balancing other Hormonal and Systemic disturbances
- Management of Cardiac Complications
- Management of other complications
- Psychosocial management
- Occupational and Social management
- Management of Sexual Dysfunction including Erectile Dysfunction
- Surgical management including Metabolic/Bariatric Surgery
1. Life style management
2. Weight management
3. Dietary management
Few recommendations by Dr. Deepak Anjana V Chaturvedi to remember before going for stem cells based therapies
- Stem cells based therapies have the potential to be a great futuristic medicine.
- The effects of Stem Cells based therapies are yet to be proven.
- Go autologous first.
- Don't pay very hefty amounts for the same.
- Don't expect miracles but stay optimistic.
- Evaluate yourself thoroughly before going ahead with it.
- Don't fall prey to tall claims made by the therapy providers.
- Don't leave your ongoing treatment (medicines etc) without consulting your doctor.
- Everything has a potential to give unwanted effects or to get fail. Please stay prepared for the same.
Dr. Deepak Anjana V Chaturvedi's view on Diet
- 1. No fixed rules about eating behavior.
- 2. Living long (longevity), Living healthy (wellness), Improved quality of life index (Antiaging) and living comfortably with one or more disability and disease are different entities.
- 3. Every condition mentioned in point no.2 needs different dietary framework.
- 4. Affordability and availability are other issues in practical life.
- 5. Religious and cultural factors affect human eating behavior very much.
Schedule your appointment for "Detailed Hormones Evaluation" by Dr. Deepak Anjana V Chaturvedi, Call Now : +91-22-61669977 / 67414455